Thursday, February 26, 2009

Project 365 Day 57

Primroses
I have a long history with primroses...going way back to my 8th birthday when I got a book named Polly of Primrose Hill from my friend Steven (it even says From Steven XXX on the dedication page). For a very long time it was my favorite book, and I didn’t even know what a primrose was. I recently looked it up on Amazon, by the way, and you can still order a copy...they have a used copy for $96.07 -HOLY COW! Didn’t know Steven thought so much of me. Oh yeah...anyway...primroses...I grew up in the military. We very often lived in base housing. One of the things about base housing was you couldn’t really personalize it. If you put in a nice garden, and then left a year later and the family that moved in next didn’t know how to garden (or didn’t want to), it just looked horrible...and that wasn’tallowed. So I didn’t learn anything about how to put in flowers and landscaping until I had my own home. Actually my second home (the first one I was way too busy with work and then 3 in diapers to think about any flowers other than the ones that would be blooming over my head if I didn’t survive twins and the terrible twos...another story). But when we moved the two blocks to our new home (didn’t want my kids to have to change schools like I did in the military, so we didn’t go far), I figured it was going to be my time to bloom, so to speak. Some things got planted right away (early Summer) and I had a little list of plants that would get planted later. Primroses were on that list, and when I went to the grocery store one day, there they were. Calling my name. Little colorful flowers came home with me, and I was so excited. Planted them...and within two days they were buried under six inches of snow with a layer of ice on top of that. The next year it snowed again, and the following year it hailed on my head as I planted them. So I stopped planting them, for years. Got brave this year. Note the snow on their beautiful petals. I now know I can affect the weather. Next year? If you see primroses at my house, know that I bought silk ones this year at the craft store when they were 50% off.

No comments: